Sunday, May 11, 2014

Turkey Joe Pies

Happy Mother's Day! I hope all you moms out there get to enjoy a nice lunch or dinner out and get to sit back and put your feet up and relax. BUT, if you don't, I've got a super quick and easy recipe for you. And if you do get the day off, stick this one in your back pocket for the next time you have to get dinner on the table in a hurry.



This one is not fancy, but it's inexpensive and a surefire kid (and husband) pleaser. And it makes great leftovers and even travels well for lunches.

I got this recipe years ago from a lady I worked with, and it's served me well over the years. Her recipe called for ground beef, but I usually make mine with ground turkey.

I love using ground turkey so much! Not that I don't like ground beef - I do. But ground turkey has so much going for it! It's generally way cheaper, it's much lower in fat, and a pound of turkey goes farther that a pound of beef because it doesn't cook down like beef. I'm also a huge fan of turkey bacon, turkey sausage, and turkey kielbasa.

Here's what you need:


A pound of ground turkey. Actually you could probably get by with 3/4 pound, because I always have enough left to make a sandwich or two. But definitely a pound if you're using ground beef.

2 cans of jumbo biscuits. Clearly I'm not a slave to brand names.

A can of Manwich or other sloppy joe sauce.

About a cup of shredded cheese, preferably cheddar, although a cheddar blend will work great too. I've even made these with mozzarella, but I think the bite of cheddar works better with the sauce.

First of all, preheat your oven to 350°.

Brown your ground turkey and drain.


Add your sloppy joe sauce and mix well. Remove from the heat.


Open your biscuits and flatten each one into a circle, then press into an ungreased muffin tin.


Add a spoonful of the sloppy joe mixture to the center of each biscuit.


Top each pie with shredded cheese.


Bake according to the directions on the biscuit can. Because the biscuits are flattened out thinner, I set my oven timer for the low end of the recommended time range, in this case 15 minutes.

Take them out, let them cool, and enjoy!


Mmmmm! So good!

Turkey Joe Pies
2 (8) count cans of jumbo refrigerated biscuits
1 can of sloppy joe sauce
1 pound of ground turkey
1 cup of shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350°. Brown ground turkey and drain. Add sloppy joe sauce and mix well. Flatten biscuits and press into the cups of an ungreased muffin tin. Fill each biscuit with sloppy joe mixture. Top with shredded cheddar and bake for 12-15 minutes. 

Makes 16.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the easy, quick baseball game night dinner! ;)

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity at our Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Join us again on Saturday to show off your latest projects!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete