Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sewing Machine Key Chain


I have kind of a thing for key chains. I'm quite sure it traces back to my grandmother and the time I spent with her as a child.

Nanny had severe rheumatoid arthritis, and she was bedridden off and on from the time she was 26. She handled her condition with dignity and grace, and she worked hard to keep her mind sharp and her imagination active. Once her grandchildren came along that translated into collecting various toys and miniatures. Her house was full of such wonders as curio cabinets full of beautiful dolls and intricate miniature furniture, a huge jar of marbles, a big tin of the loveliest vintage buttons, dozens of novelty fridge magnets, and...a box full of amazing key chains.

There was a tiny six pack carrier of Pepsi bottles, a minuscule tool box with real removable tools, a mini-sized tape measure, an itty-bitty plastic grocery list with little white tabs you moved over to indicate items needed. There was a little pewter zebra and a boxing glove the size of a half dollar. There was a marble sized globe and a tiny 70's era tennis shoe. If it was kitschy and cheesy (like the miniature wheel of cheese complete with mouse), then it had a home in her big box of key rings.

Nick always teases me about the fact that I have more key chains than keys. But they all have meaning to me!


The little bronze whale has been with me since my senior trip, and I would miss him most of all if I ever lost my keys. The leather camera was something I treated myself with after my photography took off a little bit. The little pink Victoria's Secret purse reminded me of something my Nanny would have, plus it was a total score for 12.5¢ on half-off day at the Goodwill. The hook is something Nick made me from a spoon handle, and the well worn wristlet was a steal for something like 67¢ when Hobby Lobby put their summer stuff on sale last year.

Anyway, I found this adorable little sewing machine miniature at Hobby Lobby, and I knew just what I wanted to do with it. The day I got it Spare Parts were on sale for 50% off, so it was only $1.50.



This was a crazy easy project. You could totally put together a short length of chain, a jump ring, and a split ring to make the key chain part. But I had this little zipper pouch that I wasn't using, so I just robbed the hardware off of it.


Then I just attached it to the sewing machine through the spokes on the balance wheel. That's it! I can't really even call this a tutorial because it's so simple.



 
I'm completely in love with it, and I love that it was such a quick and easy project!

To replace the zipper pull on the pouch I just attached this little beaded charm I made a while back and had in my stash, and it ended up matching perfectly!





4 comments:

  1. That is adorable! I need a new keychain and this one would be perfect! I love the camera and pink purse, too...so cute!! Thank you for sharing it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute. It's like a charm bracelet, but on a key chain. Thanks for sharing on The Weekend Social. Hope to see you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete