Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Crafty Birthday Party: Boxy Makeup Bags

The last handmade party favor I made was a boxy makeup bag for each girl.

DSC_0286

For these I followed the super easy instructions over at Oh So Pretty. These were definitely the most time consuming of the projects I did, but they still came together quickly individually. The biggest problem I ran into was just that I had a hard time getting the bias tape sewn on straight, but I'm still a bias tape newbie.

I will tell you that I found this bias tape video tutorial over at MADE super helpful. And I learned a few things about it, like that fabric stretches on the bias. I thought the only reason it was cut on the bias was so that it wouldn't fray!I've always been a little afraid of bias tape, but Dana made it so simple, so much so that I even made my own bias tape for this project from a fat quarter! I used the awesome printable bias tape maker over at The Scientific Seamstress.

These little pouches are so cute, and everyone had so much fun opening each one to see the different interiors (I used various printed felts from Hobby Lobby).

DSC_0297

Because I used remnants for the exteriors, felt for the interiors, and mostly zippers (some new and some vintage) that I had on hand, it was very affordable project.

We also had these fun tumblers filled with candy for all the girls. My mom put these together using 2/$1 cups from the Dollar Tree. She filled each one with bite size candy bars and two Laffy Taffy sticks.

DSC_0323

Tomorrow I’ll start telling you all about the crafts they did!

No comments:

Post a Comment