Thursday, April 17, 2014

Crafty Birthday Party: The Activities

Fair warning, this post is going to be LONG. I planned a ton of activities for this party. And we got to almost all of them. We had planned to do Sharpie tie dyed shirts, but about half the girls forgot to bring a shirt to dye. We were also going to do nail polish pendants, but we really just ran out of time and energy.
We had the party at our church’s family life center, which was such a blessing and terrific for the space and amenities, but it’s not my favorite place to shoot pictures, so excuse the industrial background.
Smile
We started out just letting the girls mingle and have fun. They picked out their party favors and chowed down on the food. A few of them had to come late, so we waited on the crafts until they were all there. My mom did such a great job with the food and decorations.
DSC_0272
DSC_0273DSC_0464-001DSC_0500
I made this cupcake banner courtesy of inspiration found here.
DSC_0353DSC_0321DSC_0324
DSC_0274DSC_0349DSC_0328
DSC_0458-001
Gratuitous shot of my awesome nephew LB.

DSC_0291DSC_0313
              Taylor                                    Lily
DSC_0358
Sawyer

DSC_0293DSC_0303
DSC_0482
After the food and presents the girls dove into Taylor’s monstrous collection of nail polish for mani-pedis. A couple of months ago I found a bunch of pedicure flip flops for like 40 cents a pair so I stocked up for the party.
DSC_0503
After the nail polish, the girls did chocolate facials. These were SO simple, just coconut oil and cocoa powder. They all said it made their skin super soft, and of course it smelled amazing! I had enough left to package some up to send it home as parting gifts the next day.
DSC_0749
DSC_0515
While the chocolate facials were setting, I had them making lip balm.
DSC_0516
DSC_0524
Then I let them dive into my bag of leather remnants, and they cut out leather earrings.
DSC_1293-001
Next they made Shrinky Dinks. This was maybe my favorite activity of the night just because of how entranced they all were by the process. Most of them had never seen them before, and they couldn’t get enough of them! Did you know that you can buy a 50 pack of the sheets for $22.00? Such a better deal than paying $6 for 10 sheets at the craft store!
DSC_0536
DSC_0539
Then they painted little canvases mounted on magnets.
DSC_0541DSC_0542
DSC_0543DSC_0544DSC_0547
Next up were bottle cap pins. Images purchased here, here, and here.
DSC_0554DSC_0555
Doesn’t that little hipster squirrel just slay you? That whole sheet of images was awesomesauce!
Next (yes, there was more!) I let them dig through my bag of satin remnants to make singed satin flower hair clips.
DSC_0550DSC_0552
The last activity of the night was the photo shoot. They were looking a little tired by this point.
Smile
All of these accessories were found at the Dollar Tree, and we had enough scarves and sunglasses to send one of each home with each girl.
DSC_0561So this is what I look like at 5:30 in the morning after hosting a bunch of newly minted teenage girls! Keepin’ it real, folks.
DSC_0734
After that I put them all to bed and popped Frozen in the DVD player. The next morning I fed them fruit, pop tarts, granola bars, cereal, and milk. All in all I think it was a huge success!

No comments:

Post a Comment