Friday, April 25, 2014

Last Mother's Day

So Mother's Day is in a little over two weeks. Gah! How does it always sneak up on me? I've got a couple of ideas, but we'll see how they pan out Meanwhile, I thought I'd show you some of the things I made last year for Mother's Day.

First of all, I tend to show the love to sisters and girlfriends on Mother's Day when I can. We all know that when your babies are small, you don't always end up with a thoughtful gift, so if I have the time and resources, I try to make it a special day for ALL the mommies in my life. My father-in-law made me a wind chime for my second Mother's Day. It was the only thing I got that year, and it meant so much to me that he thought to do something special for me, so I try to pay it forward.

So these are the sister gifts. And please understand that this was pre-blog and another one of those last minute, taken at night in my dark living room, not for anyone to see, just for me to have a personal record or what I made, super lame photo shoots. Ahem.

My SIL Rachael had a still pretty new baby boy, and she also had some blue and yellow in her home, so I thought I would try my hand at some pop art painting. I used my Silhouette to cut a stencil of the words, and I just blocked off the sun's rays with straight pieces of vinyl. Looking back I see all kinds of things wrong with it, but I guess it wasn't too awful for my first attempt, especially considering I am so not an artist.


My SIL Leah was pregnant with baby Lawrence, and her best friend (also a good friend of mine) Melissa was pregnant with baby Jackson, so they got matching gifts that fit right in with their sense of humor: We Made a Baby on This Bed pillow covers.



In fact, Melissa wanted it featured in Jackson's 3 month shoot. :) These can be requested as a custom item in my shop. :)


I sent my SIL Kristin in Texas this leather scalloped banner. I cut scalloped circles out of black and gold leather with my Sizzix Big Kick and cut each circle in half. Then I attached the circle halves to black satin ribbon with strips of Heat N Bond.


For my mom and MIL, I had three things. First, I made them each an infinity scarf (sorry, no picture). I also made them each a burlap wreath. The pink and blue was for my MIL, and the red and cream was for my mom. My mom had just redone her kitchen, and I made hers using the same Waverly fabric her curtains are made from. The flowers for both were made using a main fabric, felt, and drop cloth. I just cut the burlap in 2 inch strips and wrapped it around the wreath forms, securing with hot glue.



The last thing I did was to embellish a couple of Mason jars. For these I just wrapped them in burlap, then wrapped lace on top of that. I cut out several layers of patent leather medallions, again with my Big Kick, and attached them to each other and then the jar with hot glue.


I also made a few things for Nick's grandmother also, but I didn't get pictures of them. Anyway, I'm off to try to figure out what to do for this year!




8 comments:

  1. haha love that pillow case! Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say also, the pillow case is a whooot, What will you tell the kids when they ask what that means? lol. Love all your very thoughtful gifts for all the Mom's in your life. That was very loving of you. Good luck deciding what to make for this year. Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's up to the mamas I made them for! Thank you and have a great week!

      Delete
  3. ha, i LOVE the pillow covers. i've seen art/posters that say things like that. too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny!

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! I hope you will join us again this Saturday at 8:00 am EST!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete